Lots of people smoke cigarettes. Its common to smoke or know someone who smokes. However, in Vancouver, there are many restrictions on smoking.
- You cannot smoke inside any building, including restaurants
- You cannot smoke in a vehicle unless it is yours.
- You cannot smoke in public parks or on beaches.
- You cannot smoke within 7m of doors or vents.
- You cannot smoke in public areas close to lots of other people, like bus stops.
These restrictions are to protect non-smokers from second-hand smoke as well as reduce garbage around the city. In the summer, Vancouver can get very dry, so these restrictions can also help prevent fires.
Canadians have stopped smoking cigarettes in the site recent decades because we now know that smoking can make you very sick so it’s difficult for smokers to smoke around the city. Canadians who don’t smoke think it smells gross and leaves garbage everywhere.
While the restrictions can seem harsh, I think it makes Vancouver a nicer place to live.